This is release 1.40.0 (guileless) of gRPC Core.
This release contains refinements, improvements, and bug fixes, with highlights listed below.
- Update Envoy API to the latest version (2021-07-30). (#26848)
- Enable retries by default. (#26766)
- Add opentelemetry as a submodule for latest xDS API. (#26850)
- Pointing the protobuf submodule to the new URL. (#26811)
- Remove BUILD.gn. (#26822)
- Prevent race causing early-destruction of grpc_winsocket object when creating a TCP connection. (#26642)
- TLS Security Connector: Add an always-fail-handshaker when certificates are not ready. (#26561)
- Enable layering checks in the Bazel build. (#26591)
- Support user provided "scope" in JWT and GDC. (#26577)
- C++ opencensus filter: Fix point of creating context for overall call. (#27238)
- Open census call attempt span name and attribute changes (#26889). (#26957)
- Open census filter: Use new internal stats API and record retry stats. (#26739)
- Add OpenCensus measures and views for retries. (#26751)